APPLICATIONS FOR INDIGENOUS STUDENT AMBASSADORS FOR THE 2020 INDIGENOUS PRE-PROGRAM ARE NOW OPEN
BUT WE’RE DOING THINGS A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY THIS YEAR…
The 2020 Indigenous Pre-Programs are being run entirely online this year due to COVID-19. It is important that Pre-Programs participants can still meet current students, ask questions, and have some familiar faces when they come to campus next year.
We are looking for several student ambassadors to facilitate fun activities with the Pre-Program students. As an ambassador, you will help students get to know you and each other, answer questions and share experiences over lunch, and yarn with students about university life.
- Give Back to your community by supporting future students in their transition to study at UNSW.
- Gain both Professional and Personal development including the opportunity to develop communication, teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Gain workplace experience that can assist in future employment opportunities.
About the Program
This year the Pre-Programs are running online from 30 November – 16 December.
About the role
- $34.21 per hour
- Ambassadors can indicate their availability. You may be able to work one or multiple sessions across the duration of the program.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Provide support to students participating in the UNSW Indigenous Pre-Programs.
- Attendance at daily lunch and end-of-day online catch-ups with students – 2 one-hour sessions Monday-Friday.
- Development of online activities for students to facilitate a sense of community amongst the participants.
- Monitor the safety and behaviour of all participants in the program and ensure they always abide by the rules.
- Help foster a culturally safe environment for students.
- Work closely with Nura Gili and Faculty staff and report any issues that may arise
- To positively promote UNSW throughout all aspects of the program.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that their actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of others in the university.
To be eligible for this position you must be:
- A current Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander student studying at UNSW
- UNDERGRADUATE: Be in at least your second year of your undergraduate degree
- POSTGRADUATE: Be enrolled
- Complete the NSW Workings with Children Check Clearance Application and be cleared to work with minors
- It is a requirement of all UNSW staff who have contact with minors to complete the NSW Working with Children’s Check Clearance application. For the purpose of completing this application, you can complete the volunteer application and if you are successful in gaining a student ambassador position you will then need to change your application to a paid clearance that will cost you $80. You can complete the application by the NSW Services Website.
Supervisors are required to:
- Attend online lunchtime drop-in 1-2 pm when rostered
- Attend online catch-up 4-5 pm when rostered
- Participate in the development of online icebreakers and fun activities for students.
If this position sounds like the right fit for you, please complete the application process that includes a personal statement outlining your suitability for the role.
For further information about the position please contact:
(02) 9065 8221
Before you complete the online application.
- Please be sure to have your Working With Children Check complete before commencing your application.
- You cannot save and return to your application later. Please make sure to have all the required information ready.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE 9 AM MONDAY, 16 NOVEMBER 2020 (late or incomplete applications will not be accepted)
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander status is a requirement for this position